Lentil Soup with Roasted Vegetables
Posted October 16, 2023 by: Admin
Lentil soup is an absolute necessity for those chilly weather meals, and this particular lentil soup with roasted vegetables deserves a prime spot in your meal rotation. It’s a robust one-pot meal, rich in fiber and bursting with vegetables, all while being naturally gluten-free. This recipe serves as an excellent choice for a hearty winter weeknight dinner or a straightforward meal prep option to keep your lunches fulfilling throughout the week.
While many individuals feel comfortable working with grains and beans, there’s often a sense of uncertainty when it comes to cooking with lentils. The irony is that lentils are just as easy (if not easier) to cook compared to beans or grains. They are incredibly versatile in the kitchen and come in various colors and varieties, making them suitable for soups, stews, curries, dhals, veggie burgers, salads, side dishes, or even enjoyed on their own with a fried egg on top. Personally, I favor red and green lentils for their texture and flavor, though the choice ultimately depends on your personal preferences. This recipe specifies Puy lentils, a type of green lentil also known as French lentils, but any green or brown lentil will do just fine.
Roasted Vegetable & Lentil Soup
This roasted vegetable and lentil soup features Puy lentils, also known as French lentils, though you can easily substitute any variety of green or brown lentils.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, with the skin on
- 1 diced onion
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried chili flakes
- 1 cup of Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6–8 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 kale stems, rinsed, with the ribs removed and roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Begin by preheating the oven to 450°F.
- On a large baking sheet, combine the carrots, squash, and garlic, then drizzle with half of the olive oil and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Transfer the sheet to the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- As the vegetables near the end of their roasting, initiate the soup preparation. In a large pot, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion, sprinkle with sea salt, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Introduce the lentils, thyme, and chili flakes, stirring to combine, and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- When the roasted vegetables are ready, remove them from the oven and peel the garlic cloves. Then, transfer the vegetables to the pot with the onion mixture.
- Cover the mixture with broth, ensuring it adequately covers all the vegetables, and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. You can start with less broth and add more as needed.
- Add the chopped kale, adjust the broth level as necessary, stir to combine, and let it simmer on low heat for an additional 10 minutes.
- If you find the soup too watery, simply use the back of a fork to mash a few pieces of squash to thicken the soup.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 267 calories
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 12 grams