Easy Chicken Asado With Sprite Recipe
Posted November 14, 2022 by: Admin
Upgrade your regular rotisserie chicken with a splash of Sprite (or any lemon-lime soda)! Learn how to mix this up with this delicious recipe:
- 1 whole chicken (1.2 to 1.5 kg)
- 1 L Sprite (lemon-lime soda)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 3 bunches of lemongrass (tanglad), tied in knots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced (for sautéing)
- 5 pieces of star anise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
HOW TO COOK:
- Place the chicken on a plate or bowl.
- Pour the soy sauce all over the chicken and then sprinkle the crushed peppercorn, rubbing it all over the chicken.
- Insert the onion and lemongrass into the cavity of the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour and heat the oil in a large pot.
- When hot enough, sauté onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Add the marinated chicken (reserve marinated).
- Cook one side over medium heat for 3 minutes, then flip the chicken over and cook the opposite side for 3 minutes.
- Pour in remaining marinade and Sprite (or similar product) and bring to a boil.
- Add the star anise.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and continue to boil the opposite side for 12 minutes.
- Remove chicken from cooking pot.
- Cut in half and arrange on a serving plate.
- Continue cooking sauce in pot until reduced by half.
- Add the garlic powder and onion powder then stir.
- Strain the sauce through a colander or kitchen strainer, then pour it over the chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!