Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies
Posted October 6, 2023 by: Admin
Indulge in the sheer delight of these flourless, gluten-free chocolate tahini cookies with a perfect touch of sea salt. If you share my passion for cookies and a steaming cup of coffee, then you’re in for a treat. During a summer excursion to a friend’s cottage near Ottawa, we made a pit stop at my beloved coffee haven, The Fieldhouse.
Intrigued by their delectable offerings, I couldn’t resist grabbing some cookies for our cottage getaway. Surprisingly, these salted dark chocolate cookies left a lasting impression on my taste buds.
These cookies, both soft and chewy, offer a delightful fusion of spice and saltiness that tantalizes the palate. To my surprise, they were grain-free, a concept I hadn’t previously considered, having only encountered classic peanut butter cookies as their grain-free counterpart.
Classic peanut butter cookies, a simple blend of peanut butter and sugar, are undoubtedly scrumptious. However, for those seeking a healthier alternative, I set out to create a grain-free version with a chocolatey twist.
These Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies present a chocolate-infused twist on the classic peanut butter cookie. Featuring less sugar and tahini in place of peanut butter, they are a healthier option. If you haven’t experienced tahini before, fret not; it’s essentially sesame seed paste, akin to peanut butter. I’ve incorporated tahini in numerous recipes on my blog, from Power Bowls to Broccoli Salad. It’s a versatile ingredient that deserves a place in your pantry.
Admittedly, I hesitated to share this recipe due to its sugar content. However, I advocate for quality over quantity and enjoying treats in moderation. I don’t deny myself the pleasure of cookies; I simply ensure they are of exceptional quality, not the processed, pre-packaged variety. In this recipe, I’ve opted for raw organic cane sugar, one of the least refined sugar options. If you lack raw organic cane sugar, coconut sugar is an excellent substitute. For this particular recipe, natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey won’t suffice.
Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients; tahini, egg, vanilla, and whisk well to combine.
- Add in dry ingredients; cocoa powder, sugar, sea salt, and baking soda, and use a spatula to combine.
- Once the mixture has been combined, add in dark chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and scoop dough into balls (approximately 1.5 tablespoons), until 12 balls are formed.
- Using your finger or the back of a spoon, gently press the balls into cookies, just a little. Don’t worry about making them too flat; they will flatten out more when they bake.
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven for 15 minutes until cookies are baked but still tender. They will harden when they cool.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Allow to cool completely before eating.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 169 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams