Mashed potatoes recipe
Posted October 30, 2023 by: Admin
“Do you know Ina Garten’s famous mashed potatoes? Barefoot Contessa has a ton of incredible recipes, but her potatoes might be the best.
They’re rich in cream and flavor, and so soft that every bite melts in your mouth. They’re easy enough to prepare for a weekday meal, but flavorful enough for Thanksgiving dinner.
With this recipe and six simple ingredients, you can make them too.
You won’t need much; they don’t require a lot of time or effort.
So, if you’re looking for the perfect side dish, check out this recipe for Ina Garten’s mashed potatoes.
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
The key to Ina Garten’s mashed potatoes is, perhaps unsurprisingly, sour cream.
Sour cream is what makes them extra creamy and delicious.
It’s rich and savory. It also provides the perfect balance of tangy flavor and creamy texture.
It also makes the potatoes thicker. It’s just one ingredient, but it makes all the difference.
In other words, don’t make these mashed potatoes without sour cream.
If you absolutely don’t have any, you can use Greek yogurt instead.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t do the job as well. Still, you can achieve it in no time.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below, and we’ll send the recipe directly to your inbox!
If you’re getting ready for a big holiday, you’ll definitely want sour cream.
These potatoes might taste like a five-star restaurant delight, but they’re easy to make. You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Potatoes. My potato of choice for mashed potatoes is Yukon Gold. They’re big, starchy, and have the perfect texture for mashing. You can opt for russet potatoes instead. Either way, you’ll need about three pounds.
- Kosher salt. As always, salt is a flavor enhancer for this recipe.
- Milk. I use 2% milk because I usually have it on hand. However, whole milk works well too. You’ll need 1.5 cups to make the potatoes light and fluffy.
- Butter. I like to control the amount of salt in my recipe, so I use unsalted butter. Butter contributes to the taste and texture of the potatoes.
- Sour cream. I’ve already praised the benefits of adding sour cream, so I won’t do it again. Just remember, it’s your secret ingredient for any mashed potato recipe.
- Ground black pepper. Pepper to taste.
If you want even more flavor, try adding garlic or chives. Some people even add a mix of cheddar and parmesan.
What Type of Potatoes Are Best?
Do you want to know the biggest mistake people make when it comes to homemade mashed potatoes? Assuming a potato is a potato.
Sure, potatoes are potatoes, but not all potatoes are created equal. Different potatoes work better for different recipes.
When making mashed potatoes, you want them to be big and starchy. This leaves you with three main varieties:
These are the three best potatoes for this recipe.
Peel them if you want extra succulent and creamy potatoes. Leave the skins for more texture.