Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
Posted November 8, 2023 by: Admin
A delightful homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe that’s rich and creamy, ready in just minutes. Learn how to make authentic hot cocoa using essential kitchen ingredients.
Hey, hey, it’s Valentina with Valentina’s Corner, and I’m excited to share our all-time favorite classic Hot Cocoa recipe.
Hot Chocolate Recipe:
Just like homemade Apple Cider, this hot chocolate recipe is a favorite during the cooler months. It’s the easiest recipe and takes just minutes on the stove. Enjoy a warm mug of hot cocoa, the ultimate cozy drink that everyone will love!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate:
- Cocoa powder – make sure it’s unsweetened
- Sugar – add granulated sugar to your desired sweetness
- Chocolate – use semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, chunks, or shavings for a rich chocolate flavor
- Milk – we prefer whole milk for a creamier consistency and better chocolate incorporation than skim milk
- Vanilla extract – use homemade vanilla for the best flavor
For an extra rich and creamy hot cocoa, replace 1 cup of whole milk with a cup of half and half or heavy cream.
How to Make Hot Chocolate:
- In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa powder. Add milk, chocolate chunks, and vanilla.
- Place over medium heat until steaming, whisking constantly to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Cool to your desired serving temperature and serve with your favorite toppings.
Pro Tip: Cocoa and chocolate can settle at the bottom of the pot. Avoid burning your homemade hot cocoa by cooking it over medium heat and stirring continuously.
Does hot chocolate have caffeine?
Since unsweetened cocoa powder naturally contains caffeine, hot cocoa does have some caffeine, which can give you a little energy boost. One serving contains about 12 mg caffeine. For reference, a cup of black coffee has 95 mg caffeine, and black tea can have 25-50mg caffeine.
Can I make Mexican Hot Chocolate?
To make Mexican hot chocolate, you need additional spices: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Also, use bittersweet chocolate.
Can I use store-bought hot cocoa mix?
You can omit the cocoa and sugar if using a pre-made cocoa mix. I would suggest using 4 packets or 4 servings according to the package instructions.
Hot Chocolate Toppings:
The best part about homemade hot chocolate is the toppings and added flavors! We love to create a toppings bar, especially for the holidays and parties.
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint
- White chocolate
- Chocolate syrup
- Peppermint sticks
- Chocolate shavings
Nothing beats homemade hot chocolate on a cold day, except maybe hot cocoa and a warm slice of Banana Bread… Mmm.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa powder. Add milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla and whisk together.
- Place over medium heat and bring it to a light boil while stirring constantly. Be sure the chocolate is fully melted and incorporated.
- Set aside to cool to your desired temperature and serve with your favorite toppings.