Grilled Tofu Skewers Recipe
Posted October 5, 2023 by: Admin
Nothing embodies the essence of summer quite like the act of firing up the grill. And these delectable grilled tofu skewers, often referred to as tofu kebabs, are a fantastic addition to any barbecue gathering. Packed with marinated tofu imbued with a smoky flavor and paired with seasonal vegetables, these skewers constitute a protein-rich, plant-based meal that’s guaranteed to satisfy vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores alike.
While tofu may raise some skepticism among many, it stands as an incredibly versatile and budget-friendly ingredient that shines at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Tofu not only serves as an excellent source of vegetarian protein but also boasts a richness in fiber and healthy fats. Furthermore, extra-firm tofu possesses a robust texture that makes it a commendable alternative to chicken, beef, or seafood in a skewer recipe. However, the key to crafting flavorful tofu lies in the preparation. Tofu, when under-seasoned or inadequately cooked, can fall flat in taste. Here are my top tips for elevating the flavor of tofu.
Tips for Perfectly Grilled Tofu
For delectable grilled tofu skewers, achieving the ideal texture and flavor is paramount. To guarantee exceptional results while grilling tofu, follow these steps:
1. **Press Your Tofu:** The more moisture you can extract from your tofu, the crisper it will become when grilled. I recommend wrapping the tofu in a tea towel or paper towel, or both, placing a weight on top, and letting it rest for at least 10 minutes to eliminate excess moisture.
2. **Uniform Tofu Cuts:** To ensure even cooking on the grill, cut your tofu into uniform-sized pieces. For tofu “steaks,” consider large pieces akin to the size of a deck of cards. For tofu skewers, aim for 1-inch cubes or as close as possible.
3. **Marinate the Tofu:** While you can grill tofu as is or with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, the flavor may come across as rather bland. For enhanced flavor and better texture, marinate your tofu for at least 30 minutes or, ideally, several hours before grilling.
4. **Preheat the Grill:** To achieve those coveted deep, charred grill marks, ensure your grill is thoroughly preheated before placing your tofu skewers on it. If using a barbecue grill, preheat it to 425°F. If using a grill pan, warm it to medium-high heat before introducing your tofu to the grill.
How to Grill Tofu Skewers
- Prep your tofu by pressing it, slicing it evenly, and marinating it before threading the pieces onto skewers.
- Prepare your vegetables by washing and slicing them before adding them to the skewers. While this recipe features zucchini, bell peppers, red onions, and mushrooms, you have the flexibility to incorporate other veggies, such as white onions, cherry tomatoes, sliced corn, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Preheat the grill to ensure the perfect grilling conditions for the tofu skewers. You should hear a satisfying sizzle when the skewers make contact with the grill.
- Grill the skewers for approximately 4-5 minutes per side, totaling 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness and the tofu exhibits enticing char marks.
- Serve your grilled tofu skewers with rice, roasted potatoes, and/or a simple green salad for a delightful meal.
While grilling tofu skewers yields optimal results on a barbecue grill or in a grill pan, they can also be prepared in a cast-iron skillet or a large frying pan when necessary. When cooking in a pan, work in batches to prevent overcrowding, and if desired, finish them under the oven broiler to add an extra layer of crispiness. Be vigilant to avoid overcooking or burning them!
Simple Marinade Recipe for Grilled Tofu
While store-bought marinades are readily available, crafting a smoky tofu marinade at home is a cinch with a few pantry staples. Here’s a suggested homemade marinade:
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
The interplay of salty and sweet, complemented by the smoky undertones from the paprika, infuses the tofu with a tantalizing BBQ-style flavor. For maximum flavor infusion, marinate your tofu for several hours to ensure the flavors permeate the tofu thoroughly.
How Long Can Grilled Tofu Be Stored?
Grilled or cooked tofu can be safely refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To reheat grilled tofu skewers, consider returning them to a grill for a few minutes per side, placing them under the oven broiler for several minutes, or adding a few drops of oil to a pan and sautéing them for about a minute on all sides. Alternatively, you can opt for a microwave to reheat them for 1-2 minutes.
Grilled Tofu Skewers
These grilled tofu skewers make a fantastic addition to any summer barbecue. For an extra flavor boost, remember to marinate your tofu for several hours and feel free to mix and match the vegetables according to your preferences.
- 1 (14 ounce) block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 smallzucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint (8 oz.) cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Remove the tofu from its packaging and place it between two layers of paper towels or wrap it in a tea towel on a cutting board. Apply weight on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, and let it rest for at least 10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- While the tofu is being pressed, prepare the marinade. In a small bowl or jar, combine soy sauce, olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Whisk thoroughly.
- Once the tofu has been pressed, cut it into 1-inch cubes and place them in a medium-sized baking dish. Pour the marinade over the tofu, ensuring all sides are coated. Transfer the dish to the fridge for marination, lasting at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- As you assemble your skewers, preheat your grill to 425°F to ensure optimal grilling conditions for the tofu skewers. Soak wooden or bamboo skewers in water for at least 5 minutes if using them to prevent burning on the grill.
- To assemble the skewers, thread marinated tofu pieces and vegetables in the desired order, alternating between various veggies and a piece of tofu. You can return the assembled skewers to the baking dish with marinade to soak up additional flavor while completing the rest or until you’re ready to grill.
- Once the skewers are ready, lightly oil the grill, then place the skewers on it. Grill them for approximately 4-5 minutes per side, totaling 15-20 minutes until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness and the tofu exhibits appealing char marks.
- Once cooked, you can serve the tofu skewers immediately or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
For a gluten-free option, substitute regular soy sauce with gluten-free soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 126 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Fiber: 2.5 grams
- Protein: 9 grams