Crockpot Navy Bean Soup
Posted May 16, 2023 by: Admin
Looking to enhance your meal prep game during the chilly months? I can totally relate to the irresistible allure of a warm and comforting bowl of soup on those crisp fall and winter days. So, here’s a fantastic suggestion for you: how about indulging in a unique rendition of the classic Crockpot White Bean Soup?
What makes this recipe truly remarkable is its ability to tick all the boxes: it’s both delicious and wholesome, catering to the entire family’s taste buds. And the best part? It requires minimal effort thanks to the trusty crock pot. With this guilt-free concoction, you’ll be treating yourself and your loved ones to a nourishing feast that’s a true crowd-pleaser.
Even better is the fact that you can prepare the meal ahead of time or make and serve that same day, requiring only 10 minutes of your time while the crockpot does the rest. So get on with your busy day or sit back and relax while this delicious and healthy soup cooks up in your slow cooker!
TIPS FOR MAKING CROCKPOT SEA BEAN SOUP
- You can use ham knuckles (pork knuckles) in place of the ham shank, although there is usually more meat in the ham shank for soup.
- Soup keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and 3-6 months in the freezer if stored properly.
- Canned beans will already be high in sodium, so this soup doesn’t require much (if any) seasoning. If you add salt, use it sparingly and add to taste.
Crockpot White Bean Soup
- Place the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the entire contents of the white beans, including the liquid, over the onions.
- Place the remaining greens, garlic, and herbs over the beans.
- Place the ham leg on top.
- Pour water into the pot and cover with a lid. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. When the leg of ham begins to separate and the bones slide off easily, the soup is done.
- Remove ham shank from soup; let cool just so it can be handled. Remove bones and trim excess fat and skin from meat.
- Chop the meat into small pieces and return the meat to the slow cooker.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary sprigs.
- If you want to thicken the soup a bit, mash some of the beans a bit with a potato masher and stir.
WHY IS THIS SOUP CALLED SEA BEAN SOUP?
- This slow cooker-style soup isn’t just a delicious comfort food to enjoy on cold winter days. In fact, it gets its name from “Navy Beans” used by the US Navy in the 19th and 20th centuries as a great source of nutrition during their long sea voyages.
- With high nutritional value, low cost, and long shelf life, this soup was an ideal meal for sailors during that time and has now become a well-known dish in most American homes today.
CAN I FREEZE THIS SEA BEAN SOUP?
- If you can. I love the soup because it freezes so well, usually 3-6 months. Once done, let it cool to room temperature, then divide it into individual airtight plastic bags to store in the freezer.
- To reheat it, simply place it in the fridge overnight and then heat it up on the stove to serve for dinner the next day.
CAN I USE DRIED BEANS INSTEAD OF CANNED BEANS?
- This Crockpot recipe does not call for soaking the beans before cooking, as I use canned beans. If you wanted to use dried beans instead of canned beans, then you would:
- Wash and rinse your beans well;
- Quickly soak your beans by placing them in a pot with enough water to cover the beans with an inch of water on top. Then bring it to a boil for several minutes, followed by soaking for 1 hour.
- Drain the water once you are done soaking and then add the beans to your Crockpot where you will start adding your other ingredients to make the soup.
- Dried beans that haven’t soaked well can cause digestive sensitivities, so it’s best to do so if you choose to use them.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT CANNED BEANS?
- Yes, you can try cannellini beans, pinto beans, or canned kidney beans.
Crockpot White Bean Soup
This Crockpot White Bean Soup is a hearty meal for the whole family that is not only incredibly easy to make but also super healthy.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Time to cook: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- It serves:8
- 1/2 cup yellow onions diced
- 30 oz. cans of white beans undrained – I used 2 15 oz cans
- 1 leg of ham
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 Nail garlic chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 cups water
- Place the onions in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Pour the entire contents of the white beans, including the liquid, over the onions.
- Arrange the remaining greens, garlic and herbs over the beans and place the ham leg on top.
- Pour water into the pot and cover with a lid.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. When the leg of ham begins to separate and the bones slide off easily, the soup is done.
- Remove ham shank from soup; let cool just so it can be handled. Remove bones and trim excess fat and skin from meat. Chop the meat into small pieces and return the meat to the slow cooker.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. If you want to thicken the soup a bit, mash some of the beans a bit with a potato masher and stir.