Potato and Butternut Squash Gratin Recipe
Posted July 26, 2023 by: Admin
This potato and butternut gratin, where the savory vegetables melt with every bite, is a real comfort food. Delicious aromas and vibrant colors make this dish a true source of joy. And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to prepare, making it a breeze even for novices in the kitchen.
Reasons to love this dish:
There are several reasons why this dish is sure to tempt your taste buds. First, it offers delicious warmth and comforting flavor, enriched with seasonal vegetables. Secondly, it’s child’s play to prepare, making it a dish that everyone can enjoy. Thirdly, it’s a vegetarian delight and, with a few modifications, can be effortlessly transformed into a vegan, lactose-free or gluten-free version, depending on your dietary preferences.
- 5 kg butternut squash
- 2 kg potatoes
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- High-quality olive oil
- Several sprigs of fresh thyme
- 190 g heavy cream
- 200 g grated cheese (options: mozzarella, comté, beaufort, emmental, etc.)
- Pinch of fine salt
- Dash of pepper
- A handful of fresh chives (for garnish)
- Start by peeling the garlic, onion, butternut squash and potatoes. Slice finely with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C, selecting natural convection/static heat mode. To ensure thorough cooking, divide the sliced vegetables into two or three batches and place each batch on separate sheets of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables.
- Bake the vegetables in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until soft and tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, transfer them to a gratin dish. Add crème fraîche, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and fresh thyme. Add the garlic and mix well to combine the flavours. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over vegetables.
- Return the gratin dish to the oven and bake for a further 35 to 40 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend and the cheese to melt, turn golden and bubble.
- When the gratin is ready, remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped chives for a final touch of freshness and color.
Preserve the freshness and flavor of the dish by storing it in an airtight container, preferably a tupperware, in the refrigerator. It will remain delicious for up to 48 hours.
Allergy-friendly, plant-based option
To meet the needs of a vegan and lactose-free diet, simply replace the liquid cream with plant-based cream (options such as soy or coconut cream work wonders), replace the grated cheese with a plant-based alternative of your choice, and replace the butter with plant-based margarine. For those looking for a gluten-free option, please ensure that the grated cheese you choose is gluten-free, as some varieties may contain gluten.