Mummy Brie Appetizer Recipe
Posted October 20, 2023 by: Admin
If you’re looking for the perfect Halloween appetizer that will wow your guests, then Mummy Brie is the way to go. This delightful creation features creamy brie cheese, topped with a delectable combination of brown sugar and cinnamon pecans, all encased in flaky puff pastry. When baked to perfection, it becomes wonderfully gooey, making it an irresistible treat for your Halloween festivities.
This scrumptious concoction is sure to be the star of your Halloween party. Whether you’re hosting a spooky soiree or simply craving a festive snack, Mummy Brie is the ideal choice to get you into the Halloween spirit.
But wait, there’s more! This delightful recipe is not just about the food; it’s also about the nostalgia and the sense of belonging. Read on to learn how it connects the author to her distant hometown and cherished family traditions.
The author, who hails from Mesa, Arizona, has spent the last 12 years far away in sunny Florida. Despite embracing her new surroundings and building a life there, she can’t help but feel a pang of homesickness, particularly when Halloween comes around. It’s a feeling many can relate to—longing for the familiar traditions and gatherings that defined their upbringing.
For this family, Halloween has always been a big deal. They come together every year on the Monday before Halloween for a grand celebration. Carving pumpkins, watching the classic cartoon “Ichabod Crane: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” savoring Mom’s chili, and relishing Dunkin’ Donuts with apple cider are just a few of the beloved traditions.
The highlight of the evening? The Great Pumpkin’s surprise visit to the backyard, where he delivers treats to the kids. This cherished routine has remained unchanged for 35 years, creating an unbreakable bond and unforgettable memories.
The author has attempted to recreate these traditions in Florida, but it’s never quite the same. There’s something about the familiar surroundings, the shared laughter, and the comfort of home that can’t be replicated elsewhere. For her, the homesickness is most pronounced during her mom’s Halloween party—it’s a poignant reminder of what she’s missing.
Now, the family tradition of making Baked Brie takes center stage. It’s a simple yet delicious recipe featuring brown sugar, puff pastry, and cinnamon pecans. While other variations exist, the author swears by this one. She emphasizes the use of puff pastry for its rich and buttery texture, which elevates the dish to a whole new level.
To give this delectable treat a Halloween twist, simply add strips of puff pastry and decorate with apple slices, craisins, or pecans for the mummy’s eyes. This charming Mummy Brie appetizer is the perfect addition to your Halloween spread.
This Mummy Brie is brie cheese topped with brown sugar and cinnamon pecans and baked inside puff pastry until nice and gooey.
- 1 (17.3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16-ounce) wheel Brie
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, , beaten
- Sliced apples
- Pecan pieces, craisins, or raisins for eyes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Thaw puff pastry on the counter for approximately 15 to 20 minutes and unfold.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the pecans in the butter until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon and stir until pecans are coated well. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. square. Cut off corners to make a circle.
- Place Brie in the center of the pastry. Place the pecan mixture on top of the Brie and sprinkle the brown sugar over the mixture.
- Fold pastry over cheese, trimming as necessary, and pinch edges to seal.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Use scraps that were cut off into 1-inch strips. Wrap strips around Brie, trimming as necessary. You don’t want to make too thick of a layer of strips or it won’t cook all the way through. Discard scraps. Brush the beaten egg over top and side of Brie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For eyes, cut two circles from apple slices or use sliced almonds; place on top of Brie as eyes. Top each circle with a dried cranberry, raisins, or pecan pieces. Serve warm with apple slices and crackers.
Puff pastry comes with 2 sheets of dough. Brie comes in either 8 ounce wheels or 16 ounce wheels. For a 16 ounce wheel you will need 2 sheets. If you use an 8 ounce wheel you will only need 1 sheet of puff pastry. Use the trimmed dough, roll it out and cut strips for the mummy. If you have too much puff pastry dough layered it won’t bake all the way through so make sure you roll it thin enough.