Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
Posted September 15, 2023 by: Admin
The best Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast recipe. Chuck roast slow cooked with butter, pepperoncini, Ranch dressing mix, and gravy mix until melt-in-your-mouth tender.
We love these set it and forget it types of slow cooker recipes like our Crockpot Lasagna (which is also make-ahead) and Pork Carnitas.
This recipe for the popular Mississippi Roast will become a family favorite. We add a hint of broth allowing there to be enough liquid for gravy to pour over your roast and side dish.
This popular Southern dish is loved by even the pickiest eaters. Pair it with Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Homemade Biscuits for a comforting dinner.
What is Mississippi Pot Roast?
Mississippi Pot Roast got its famous name from Robin Chapman, a mom from Mississippi that was trying to recreate her aunt’s pot roast. The roast is tender, juicy, and has a slight zest from the pepperoncini yet flavor-packed from the dressing and gravy.
These simple ingredients are all you need for the most flavorful slow cooker Mississippi Pot Roast!
- Chuck roast
- Unsalted butter
- Ranch dressing mix
- Beef broth
- Au jus gravy mix
- Jarred pepperoncini peppers
How to Make Mississippi Pot Roast
This is one of those easy crockpot recipes that require minimal prep work. So quick yet absolutely delicious!
- Season meat – lightly season both sides of the roast with pepper.
- Sear meat – sear meat in a skillet over high heat.
- Combine – add roast, gravy, pepperoncini, butter and ranch dressing to the crock pot.
- Cook – slow cook roast until tender.
- Serve – remove meat and pull apart with two forks. Return to gravy and gently stir to combine.
How to Serve Pot Roast
You can serve pot roast in so many different ways. Here are some of the best ways to serve the pot roast:
- Main entree – with a side of mashed potatoes, pasta, or even rice.
- Sliders – add to hawaiian buns and enjoy as sliders.
- Sandwiches – add to sandwich buns with homemade coleslaw.
- Nacho – add to nachos with cheese.
- Tacos – add to soft or hard tacos with toppings and enjoy.
Why is my roast still tough?
The roast hasn’t cooked long enough. Some cuts of meat, especially thicker cuts just take a little more time than others. If the meat is tough, continue cooking another hour or until beef is easily shredded.
Is the roast spicy?
No, not at all. You can easily control the heat by adding more or fewer pepperoncini. If you want the roast spicy, double the number of pepperoncini that we have indicated.
Can I add carrots to the roast?
Yes, just add carrots with the remaining ingredients and cook together.
Can I add potatoes?
Yes, cube the potatoes and add them around the roast, cook together.
What meat is best?
We recommend a beef chuck roast. The marbling adds flavor and juices to the roast as the meat is slow-cooked.
Juicy, tender, and mouthwatering… I hope this easy slow cooker Mississippi Pot Roast becomes a new favorite recipe for you.
Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
The BEST crock pot Mississippi Pot Roast recipe. Chuck roast cooked with butter, pepperoncini, Ranch dressing mix and gravy mix until melt-in-your-mouth tender.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours hrs
- Total Time: 6 hours hrs 10 minutes mins
- Season the chuck roast with pepper on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Once hot, sear and brown the beef for 2-3 minutes per side.
- In a slow cooker bowl, add the beef broth. Then, add the seared beef, and top with ranch mix, au jus powder, minced garlic, pepperoncini, and sliced butter.
- Cook on low heat for about 7-9 hours, or on high heat for 4-6 hours or until fork-tender (a thinner piece of meat will cook faster and a thicker cut will take longer).
- Shred the beef and add back into the slow cooker, gently mix until combined with the buttery gravy.